Sunday 28 June 2015

The Ride - Day 5


Day 5 Summary - Prades to Cerberes. 95km. Only 620m of climbing. 3h 30m in the saddle. The weather? Have a guess! We finally make it........

Alix - I am ready for chucking Paul's alarm clock out the window and into the pool when it goes off at 6 am this morning. I've not had the best night's sleep....feeling strangely nervous about today. Just hoping that no disasters strike to scupper our chances when we are so close. Breakfast consumed, Paul and I are actually on the road for half seven today. I think Paul was feeling like me. Whatever we need to do to make sure we get to Cerbere by the 1pm cut off time.

I know it may come as a surprise given what we signed up for, but I am not a big lover of climbing. Nice, rolling terrain where I can find a decent gear and push along is what I love the most. I'd therefore looked at the profile for this last day with some joy! I wasn't disappointed. It was very, very fast.....40kmh without even noticing. Glass- cranking as my dad would say! I was careful to keep Paul on my wheel, but he too seemed to be relishing the change in terrain. We almost made it all the way to the coast before the 'Commonwealth Train' caught us. Paul was happy for me to jump on the back and I enjoyed a few kms riding with the Ozzies, Canadians and Simon and Jason from the UK. 

I was going to wait for Paul at the van meet point, but mysteriously it wasn't there so I dropped back to wait for Paul anyway.  Few clicks further on and I had a puncture. Couldn't quite believe I'd gone 700km and had a blowout in the last 20km! More sweating at the roadside with the mini-pump, constantly looking up to see if the van was going to come round the corner and save us the effort. It didn't. We got underway again and rounded the headland into Collioure  - a beautiful little fishing port - where the rest of the Commonwealth had stopped for some 'refreshment'! It was there that we learned Alex had come off his bike only 3-4 km from the hotel....hence the missing van earlier on! He was thankfully OK, but his clothing was destroyed, he had some nice road rash and was a bit shaken up. Graham and Debbie had gently persuaded him to carry on though, knowing that however bad he was feeling it would be nothing to how disappointed he would be to get in the van so close to the finish!

The last 20km or so we're lumpy as we rode along the coastal 'corniche' road, but by this time both Paul and I were feeling pretty OK and, with amazing views to enjoy, the last few inclines didn't seem to trouble us too much. Rounding the final bend into Cerbere was amazing and as we came into the finish there were loads of people there to greet us, bands playing (several in fact....seems we'd arrived on Cerbere party weekend!) and a nice glass of chilled fizz! It was lovely to see everyone congratulating each other as well - clapping and hugging and generally just being elated at having finished. Last man in was Alex. Battered and bruised he made it with 3 minutes to spare and his own hazard light flashing support vehicle! Graham said it was one of the closest arrivals he's had!

So, with everyone 'home' safely it was time for the ceremonial dipping of the toes in the Mediterreanean sea and the final group photo. An amazing achievement for everyone, but especially for Paul. I am so, so proud of him. It's a big ask of anyone to undertake this challenge, but more so for him. I knew he would do it.....and he did! Hoping that Graham got the shot of Paul and I arriving together hand in hand as it summed up our week really!





L-R: Marty, Alex, Monica, Alan, Stephen, Paul, Alix, Tom, Billy, Ian, Max, Rod, John, Simon, Jason.


No comments:

Post a Comment